The Business Advisory Centre Durham (BACD) manages the Summer Company program for the Durham Region area.
This program provides Ontario students ages 15-29 a seed grant of up to $3,000 and hands-on training, coaching and mentoring to help you start and operate your business. The program starts in June/July and finishes by Labour Day. It is available to high school and college/university students that are returning to school the following academic year.
The Program provides:
- Advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running
- Over 10 hours of business training and workshops
- Start-up grant money of up to $3000 to kick-off a new summer business ($1,500 up front to help with start-up costs and up to $1,500 is awarded when you successfully complete all the program requirements
- The program gives students the full experience of running their own business.
How the Program works:
The successful participant shall commit to an average of 35 hours per week to run the business
- High School Students – Complete a minimum of 8 weeks in a row
- Post Secondary Students – Complete a minimum of 12 weeks in a row
Summer Company Program remains available, however the program is pivoting the types of businesses allowed in the program due to COVID19.
For more information, please contact Ashley McBride, Summer Company Coordinator for any questions, (905) 668-4949 ext 226.
Example of eligible business:
- online products
- lawn care with electronic payment
- online tutoring etc.
These types of businesses are NOT eligible for funding:
- partnerships/co-operatives, franchises and distributorships
- incorporated businesses that are controlled directly or indirectly by a person who would not be eligible for a Summer Company award
- business ventures that are subsidiaries or divisions of an existing business or continuations of existing commercial endeavours
- commissioned sales or multi-level marketing ventures
- single events such as a theatrical production, a DJ gig, a music concert, a dance/party event, a fundraiser, a sporting tournament, etc.
- businesses that are strictly pay per click or 1-900 businesses